Today I attended Nokia Pakistan “Calling All Innovators Pakistan 2010” conference. What I feel is a serious change in Nokia strategies. Now Nokia is making serious efforts on software side. As we know already know Nokia market share went down to as low as 30% according to market research. The development tool it introduced are no less than other smart phone development platforms.
I would like to share things that shows change in Nokia strategy:
Nokia OVI Store
- Nokia OVI store is just like Apple Store for providing central place of all nokia app.
- Submitting Application to nokia OVI store is free.
- They told about the Ramadan 2010 App.
- OVI Store Statistics:
- 2.9 million hit/day
- 30 languages support
- 91 operators
- In-App Purchase (Beta): Making payment from the app is quite easy due to In-App Purchase support. With few lines of code one can integrate license module in his app.
- In-App Advertisement(Beta): Displaying advertisement in native app made easy with In-App Advertisement.
- Nokia introduces new rapid UI development native framework for Nokia devices called “Qt” which they claim reduces code development to 70%.
- QT was made by Trolitech company that was acquired by Nokia in 2008.
- Smart installation. auto app upgrade.
- QT Quick
- It is wizard like tool especially for non-coders. One can develop app using this wizard like tool.
- Nokia Forums statistics:
- 1.5 million unique visitors/month
- 50% Nokia forum developers belong to EMEA.
- 2 million active users online community.