Recently I got chance to do R&D on the opensource tools that can be used as an alternative to Microsoft or licensed software on windows. Followings are my findings that are very good candidate to be used against licensed one :
- Microsoft MS Project:
- Microsoft Visio:
- Dia (http://live.gnome.org/Dia) -It can open visio VDX files, so our existing visio diagrams can be easily opened in it.
- IBM Rational Rose UML:
- StarUML (http://staruml.sourceforge.net/en/) -It provides revers engineering from java,C++ and C# languages into UML diagram as well as generating these languages code from the UML diagrams. It also provide feature for applying/generate design patterns like GOF and EJB pattern in the UML diagram.
- Cute FTP:
- FileZilla http://filezilla-project.org -Its almost similar to cuteFTP. I find it same as cuteFTP, providing resume/overwrite FTP support with site manager storage.
- XML Spy
- XMLMarker http://xmlmarker.com/ – Its beauty is that it is just 996kb setup. Lightweight and doesn’t occupy more space.
- Liquid XML studio 2009 http://www.liquid-technologies.com/ -Its very good specially when you are working on XML Schemas. It represnt XML schemas same as XML Spy. Very handy for working on schema. Its setup size is 42MB. It is licensed but there a community Edition available that lets us work on all above mention feature just for free.
- MS OutLook
- Thunderbird – http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/ – It comes with number addons that you can add to make just like MSOutlook.
- MS Office
- MS Visual Studio
- SharpDevelop –http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/